The Pong Pong tree seeds (Cerbera odollam) are a native species to S/E Asia and can often be seen throughout India, landscaping the roads of Singapore, Malaysia and as an ornamental and tree that provides shade in many a Thai garden.
The Pong Pong tree seed is roughly the size of a tennis ball and to germinate needs plenty of water and sunlight.
How to Grow Pong Pong Tree Seeds
- Take your Pong Pong tree seeds out of the packaging and soak in water for 12 hours
- Prepare a plant pot with quality soil and compost and ensure you have good drainage
- Place the Pong Pong seed on top of your soil and press down firmly
- Place your pot or container out into a sunny spot with as much direct sunlight as possible
- Keep the seed and soil moist at all times watering twice a day
Seed – Sapling – Tree
The seed germination period will vary greatly dependent on the environment. Generally speaking after a few weeks the dormant seed will send up a bright green shoot. Within a few more week the sapling will stand between 20-30cm. You should then plant the young plant in to a larger container remembering to keep it in direct sunlight and the soil moist.
When the tree is strong and reaches around 3 feet in height, dig a large hole, soak the ground, layer it with compost and plant your tree in a sunny spot in your garden. Back fill the hole in with more quality soil and compost. Add a layer of mulch and water well in.
As the tree grows you will be able to enjoy the beautiful and fragrant blossoms. The trees also produce fruit the size of a grapefruit. It’s highly poisonous and should not be eaten on any account. The seeds also make a great decoration or garden ornament.
To see more photos of Pong Pong seeds we have successfully grown into trees here in Thailand, visit our blog page.
Pong Pong Tree Seeds